Growing up near Kingston, many of us had our first fast food experience at Carrol's restaurant on Wyoming Avenue. I guess you might count Stop-n-Go as a predecessor, but my fondest memories are of Carrol's. Their most famous offering was the Club Burger. Here's an ad from back in the 1960's:
In 1968, the club burger would set you back $.49. Along with $.10 for fries and another $.15 for a coke, you'd have a meal for under a dollar. Just to put it in perspective, that's about $5.50 today.
The most memorable part of the burger was the 'special sauce' called Crisbo Royal (CR) sauce. I researched the recipe for the sauce they used and here are some of the comments I found on various message boards:
“I worked at the Carrols in Peekskill back in the late 60's as a teen. I recall running out of their "Royal sauce" which we made ourself to replenish the supply, it was nothing but Mayo, ketchup and relish all mixed together. “
or, from another message board: “the assembly for Club Burgers goes like this: (1)bottom bun level, (2)onions and pickles, (3)bottom hamburger patty, (4)a small dob of C.R. Sauce, (5)central bun buffer level, (6)a small pad of lettuce, (7)a slice of American cheese, (8)top hamburger patty, (9)a slightly more generous dob of C.R. Sauce, and finally (10)the sesame-seeded bun top level.
From yet another message board, here’s a Crisbo Royal Sauce recipe:
“45% mayonnaise, 45% ketchup, and 10% relish.”
We're having burgers tonight... and the sauce we're using will be our own version CR sauce. I'll have to let you know the results...

No comments:
Post a Comment