Thursday, June 15, 2017

Let me show you my tattoo...

I am a product of my generation.  I did all the things that my friends did when I was young because I was impressionable.  Back in those days, people who had tattoos got them to stand out from the crowd.  They were the badasses.  I'm not so sure that's why people get them today.  It may be more to fit in.  Ten years after we graduated, Gregg Allman's song "I'm No Angel" was popular, and it contained the line, 'Let me show you my tattoo', which was still a bit badass at the time.



In the 1980's, a tattoo was still a symbol of one's individuality and belief in personal freedom.

When I look back at pictures of myself from that era, I realize that I did many things because everyone else was doing them.  The 70's clothes, like bell bottoms (with cuffs!), outrageous patterns and colors, platform shoes, the hairstyles, smoking... I am not proud of those things.   If I could take it all back, I would.   I'm just glad those lifestyle choices were not as permanent as having a tattoo.  A tattoo leaves a permanent record of your evolution.

But if I was born a decade or two later, I'm sure I'd have to have some tattoos just to fit in.  And if I did decide to get some tats, I can't think of any finer than these beauties:


What better way to offer a 'how to' printed right on your body on how one might acquire this fine physique.  I admire his loyalty to companies he's obviously passionate about.  He owns it.  He is proud of it.  You just have to admire that level of self-awareness.

No comments: