A few years ago I totaled my Durango. It was my first accident in nearly 40 years of driving. I narrowly escaped what would have been a fatal crash had I arrived a few seconds earlier as I would have been impacted in the driver's side door directly. As it turned out, I hit the other guy who was traveling at a high rate of speed and spun him around into oncoming traffic. Fortunately, there were no further collisions and we both walked away shaken but without a scratch.
It meant I had to replace my vehicle which was 15 years old (I tend to hang on to things for a very long time) and I stepped into the world of new features like satellite radio, built-in navigation, remote starting and adaptive cruise control. It's like a computer with wheels. What's next? A self-driving car? Who could have imagined this when we were in high school?
One of my very favorite channels on the satellite radio is "70's on 7" that plays nothing but 70's music and it reminds me of all the great music we had in our day. It even shows the year the song was released. It's even fun to listen to the old disco hits from that era.
In studying the record industry, it seems that most people develop their music tastes and hence music collection, or at least most of it, between the ages of 12-24 and so that's the age group that is targeted on top 40 radio. I like some of the new music of today, but am still partial to what we had back then. And there was a lot of variety too. In addition to the aforementioned disco, there were love songs, country, folk, classic rock, metal, rock operas, you name it, we had it. Except rap, we didn't have rap. And I'm grateful for that. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment