When I was growing up, I dreaded the days my mom cooked potato pancakes for dinner.
Last year I found out why. She didn't cook them with the oil at a high enough temperature. To be fair, my mom grew up in Ireland, where they didn't know anything about potato pancakes. So she learned how to cook them from my dad, who learned from his mom.
We visited my aunt in Florida recently, and she clued me in on what was probably going wrong. Her mother cooked her potato pancakes in oil that wasn't hot enough and that made them undercooked. There is nothing more disgusting than a potato pancake cooked in oil that isn't hot enough.
What you're looking at here are potato pancakes cooked in oil that is at 350 degrees. This is how they should look. And when they are cooked properly, they taste amazing. I cooked these myself here in Colorado. I'm pretty sure they were the first potato pancakes cooked in the state. I'm serious. How many of you have ventured very far from NEPA and found potato pancakes on the menu? I rest my case.
I didn't have my first properly cooked potato pancake until I had one at a bazaar and then it hit me why they were so popular. They were crispy and very tasty. They weren't an oily mess like they are when you fry them in oil that is not up to the proper temperature.
Our reunion will be at the same time as a bazaar in Swoyersville. It's at the church on 116 Hughes Street formerly known as Holy Trinity now known as St. Elisabeth Ann Seton church. Some of you went to grade school there. It's within walking distance of our ice breaker, about a half mile. I wonder if their potato pancakes will measure up. Who wants to make a potato pancake run?

No comments:
Post a Comment